You get an A+ for skin care!
You're doing a great job. You're concerned about keeping your skin healthy and looking good, and you know how to do it. . You're well aware that maintaining a healthy lifestyle and a bright mood are essential to healthy, radiant skin. Well done!
Your skin care routine probably looks something like this:
- Gentle cleanser
- Serum (maybe some targeted ingredients?)
- Sunscreen (please, please, please, every single day)
- Weekly masque or exfoliation
You're taking excellent care of your skin, but you might be starting to notice a few changes that signal it's time to upgrade your routine.
Collagen production begins to decline at about age 30 and decreases about 1% a year there after. This why your skin begins to be a bit looser and may sag as the years go by.
Cross linking of proteins from sun damage and DNA damage from free radicals (UV rays from the sun, pollution, blue light from devices)make skin more prone to sagging, wrinkling, dark spots. Decreased oil production makes the skin drier, more prone to sagging, wrinkles, dark spots.
This is not the time to give up. Yes, skin and body changes are normal as we age and those lines on our faces tell the story of our lives. We don't want to (and can't really)erase them, but we do want to look and feel our best. And protect our skin from further damage.
After 50 and maybe a bit earlier, active ingredients are the name of the game for protecting, nourishing, and restoring skin. We can't stop time (and don't want to) but we can look and feel our best at any age.
Start with a gentle cleanser. You skin doesn't need and can't handle soaps and harsh detergents. Nourishing oils and antioxidants combined with a very mild cleansing agent are all you need. Try SunWindSnow's RainShower, made with rosehip, borage and olive oils, a coconut based cleanser, vitamin C and our special adaptogenic herb blend.
Also, don't scrub! It can disturb the skin's own microbiome as well as stretch and damage skin. Gentle wash, pat dry.
Serums are next. Here is where you can deliver potent biological active ingredients to the deeper layers of your skin.
- Vitamin C is a great anti-oxidant. It encourages collagen and elastin production and brightens the complexion. SunWindSnow's DewDrops also contains plant stem cells for their anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant abilities, and hyaluronic acid to hydrate and plump. It's great to use in the morning or at night, or use it only in the morning and replace with a retinol product at night.
- Peptides are short chains of amino acids and have been shown to firm the skin, boost collagen and elastin, and help with dark circles. SunWindSnow's SnowDrops have plant stem cells and hyaluronic acid plus our adaptogenic blend that includes green tea, gotu kola, reishi mushroom, licorice, gingko and others used for ages to reduce the effects of environmental stress and aging on the skin.
- Retinol is a Vitamin A derivative and the go-to for offsetting the effects of sun damage and encouraging cell turnover in the skin. This process takes time, but within 12 weeks of use, you'll see more glow and less damage. SunWindSnow's GloDrops contains 2.5% retinol which is gentle but effective, as well as hyaluronic acid and adaptogenic herbs to boost the effects. Use only at night, and be doubly sure to wear sunscreen to protect those tender new skin cells.
After your serums, use a moisturizer.
- In the morning, use a lighter moisturizing cream or lotion that contains anti-oxidants and other nourishing botanicals. It can seal in the actives in serum while adding its own nourishing and protecting qualities to your skin's barrier. SunWindSnow's SunUp accomplishes all this, along with a hefty load of antioxidants to fend off free radicals as you go through your day
- Night is the time our bodies and skin restore and replenish. A heavier and more nourishing cream is great because it can both sink in and act as a protective layer to seal in all the goodness. SunWindSnow's SunDown also contains peptides, hyaluronic acid, CoQ10, vitamin B5 and our adaptogenic herbs to revitalize your face as you sleep.
- Use a nourishing face oil. Beautiful plant oils penetrate the first couple of layers of the skin. Because of this they can improve moisture levels, enhance the skin barrier, and give dry areas a chance to restore themselves. We use SunWindSnow's RainDrops, made with rosehip seed oil, sea buckthorn oIl, and Argan oil to deliver essential fatty acids and anti-oxidants to the outer layers and to give us a radiant glow. A nourishing face oil can be used in place of a moisturizer (especially for day use)or as the last step in your routine.
And of course, sunscreen.
Sunscreen is the single most important you can do to protect your skin's health and long-term looks.
Yes, you do need sun for health. You do not need excessive sun, or constant sun exposure in one place (like your face). Not only does excessive sun exposure lead to wrinkling, sagging, and dark spots, it is responsible for skin cancer which is definitely not healthy. If you do nothing else, please wear sunscreen.
SunWindSnow's All Weather Defense SPF 30 is a non-nano mineral sunscreen that you will love. It is an easy to carry stick that is tinted and blends easily into your skin. No ghost face and a light, non-greasy feel. It also protects against other forms of environmental insult such as pollution and blue light.
SunWindSnow AM Suggestions :
- Rainshower Cleanser
- Dew Drops VitminC Serum and/or SnowDrops Peptide serum (best results with both-DewDrops first followed by SnowDrops)
- SunUp Anti-oxidant Day Cream
- All Weather Defense SPF 30
- RainDrops if desired
SunWindSnow PM Suggestions :