Fall is here!
Clear crisp blue skies, pumpkins, leaves falling….
Oh how I love fall. It is a great time to be outdoors no matter where you live.
Let’s make sure your skin keeps up with the changing weather.
Some Things Change...
As temperatures cool and the days get shorter, your skincare routine may need to change a bit.
In Chinese medicine, autumn is the season of dry. The air is drier, humidity lowers, and, if you live somewhere where you’re using heat already (or soon), things really dry out.
Now is the time to nourish and retain moisture, especially with winter (and even drier conditions) on the way.
What you should do:
Drink plenty of water. You may not be as thirsty because of the cooler temps, but your skin is the first place a lack of internal moisture shows up. This means your skin will look thirsty before you FEEL thirsty, so drink up!
- Use products containing Hyaluronic Acid (present in many of SunWindSnow’s products) to increase the moisture in the skin. This moisturizing powerhouse works by attracting and holding water (up to 1000x its weight)!
Keep using your moisturizer. SunUp and SunDown contain nourishing butters and oils, plus active ingredients that sink deep into your skin.
- Add a facial oil like RainDrops (over the moisturizer) to hold in moisture, protect from drying winds, and seal in the good skin nutrition of your serums. Oils only penetrate the top couple of layers so they are great at holding in moisture and sealing in all the goodness of your serums and creams. They can also be used on their own.
...and Some Things Don’t
One thing that doesn’t change is that you still need to wear your sunscreen!
Even though the sun’s rays are not quite as intense, they still cause damage. Especially those UVA rays that penetrate deeper into your skin and zap collagen, damage DNA, and cause other damage that leads to discoloration and wrinkling.
The basics of your skin care routine remain the same.
What you should do:
- Cleanse. Be sure to keep using cool to lukewarm water and don’t scrub. These things can strip the oils from your face and damage the skin barrier, which will feed skin dryness. Be gentle.
- Nourish and Restore with a serum or two. Vitamin C (as found in DewDrops) can help skin heal from sun damage, brighten your complexion and boost collagen. Peptides and Stem Cells (as found in SnowDrops) fight inflammation, contain antioxidants, and boost collagen and elastin that helps keep it firm.
- Protect your skin with active-ingredient moisturizers and sunscreen during the day. (SunUp is perfect for day and loaded with antioxidants. SunDown is a cocktail of active ingredients, herbs, and nourishing oils and butters.)
Then, get outside and enjoy. Hike, bike, play your favorite sport and savor these beautiful days while they last.
To help find a skin care routine that fits your lifestyle, take our skin care personality test.